Competition Dance Team
ABOUT COMPETITION DANCE:
Competitive Dance is a popular widespread activity in which competitors perform dances in any permitted dance style – such as acro, ballet, jazz, hip hop, lyrical, modern and tap – before a panel of judges. Dance Competition Companies / Teams perform at regional competitions and are comprised of students ranging in age from about six to eighteen years old. Typically, dance schools arrange for their classes to compete as groups; however, some dance students can and do compete solo or in small groups, as well as with their entire dance school groups.
The regional competitions are usually held in high school auditoriums or other venues that can accommodate a stage and space for the judges and audience. These venues are rented for a time period of one to four consecutive days depending on how many dancers are scheduled to compete. The competitions start early in the morning and continue until the evening.
Dancers must be physically fit because competitive dance is demanding, even for shorter pieces. Therefore, dancers must train continually, working on and improving their technique, balance, stamina, strength and flexibility. Competitive Dance requires a great deal of dedication as it takes months of practicing, learning routines and preparing for competitions.
The DHTW Competition Dance Teams are under the direction of
Theresa DiLallo, Nicole Koerner , Jenn Kwaak , Kourtney Lamantia
DHTW COMPEITION DANCE TEAM REQUIREMENTS (No Exceptions Will Be Made)
Dancers who make the DHTW Competition Dance Team will be required to take classes per week as follows:
Senior, Junior, Adv Jrs. & PETITE: (1) 1 hour class Lyrical (2) 1 hour class with Jazz (3) 1 hour ballet
Mini Team: 1) 1 hour class Jazz (2) 1 hour class TAp (3) 1 hour Ballet & Lyrical
Teen Hip Hop Team: 2 hours per week of Hip Hop only
All Team have an optional Hip Hop Team which meets 1 hour per week.
If a dancer drops out of any of the above mentioned classes, they will automatically be dropped from the Competition Dance Team WITHOUT a refund
Besides the required dance classes listed above, Competition Dance Team members are encouraged to take other classes of their choice.
Fees for the above listed classes can be found under the “Tuition” page: http://dhtw.com/children-teens/tuition
ADDITIONAL FEES & INFORMATION:
- Each Competition charges their own fees of $50 per dance per child . Please note, DHTW has no say or control about these fees.
- All Competition Fees are non-refundable, regardless of reason
- Solo, Duet, Trio, and Quad dances require a separate fee
- Every competition routine require a separate costume purchase. Fees for these costumes will vary.
- The DHTW Competition Dance Team will attend a minimum of 2 competitions
- Extra Rehearsal fees are $10 per rehearsal. Company members are required to attend competition rehearsals which may be held on different days from which they normally take class. In addition, it is MANDATORY for ALL competing dancers to attend their classes during competition week. Any absence may result in pulling your child from the competition WITHOUT a refund.
- Competition companies make their own schedules (times and days). It is important that you note dancers may only compete on one day, or they may have to attend a competition on multiple days. Further, the schedule for the competition day is usually sent to us the Monday prior to the actual competition, and it is always subject to change. You will need to keep competition weekends completely open.
- Transportation to and from the competitions is not provided by DHTW.
Parents and students who audition for the DHTW Competition Dance Team should do so with a full understanding of the commitment and requirements that this prestigious program obligates them to. We are very proud of our award winning teams, and due to their successes, this programs is growing and motivating new students to work hard in their dance studies. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Jenn Kwaak:MissJenn2Worlds@gmail.com or Laura Stein: Laura@dhtw.com, or call 516 . 484.6604.